Monday, July 10, 2006

V1.A.P1 = V(isit) 1.(U.K.) A. (Colchester) P(osting) 1

Colchester and Essex Uni are nice and fine...

Alptekin met me at Heathrow and took me here -very nice of him- and then I basically moved in. This is the road we took:

Colchester claims to be Britain's oldest recorded town. "In AD77 a Roman writer by the name of Pliny the Elder described the location of the Isle of Anglesey as being 'about 200 miles from Camulodunum, a town in Britain'. This was the Roman name for Colchester and is the earliest known reference to a fixed settlement in Britain, hence the claim to be Britain's oldest recorded town." I hope to visit a bit and then write more about it.
The courses start today and looking at the programme of yesterday (with presentations from the faculty etc) it seems they will be rather intense. Better.

I really wanted to add a course on philosophy of social science, but the hours were clashing with the course I am already registered for.

The social event of last night was of course the World Cup Final. Yet, there was a lot of nice and new people to meet and talk to. I really enjoy the influence of time on my actions and mood (and of other people). I had a great time in Amsterdam right before I came over here, and here the time pressure already forces me (and others) try to make the best out of everything: the classes, the campus, the country and each other...

Back to my readings now.

No comments: